Sunday 4 October 2015

Homework

I will be starting the weekly homework this week. Homework will be sent out on Tuesdays and to be completed by the following Monday. I understand that families have many priorities pre-scheduled and some unexpected throughout the week. The weekly homework allows the students to organize their time and plan their homework time. This also helps to improve upon the learning skills that we work on in class (Responsibility, Independent Work, Collaboration, Self-Regulation, Initiative, Organization). 

I have posted the document to the student's Google Drive account. I have created a document and made digital copies so that each student has their own copy that has already been directed to their Google Drive account under the 'homeroom' folder. They do not need to 'share' the docuement with me as I already have access. 

With all the homework that I will send out, I encourage parental participation and discussion. However, when the students are asked to document their learning or produce written work, I ask that the students express their thoughts, ideas, and strategies independently. Their work should represent their understanding of the subject matter. 

I intend to send homework that is a true reflection of what we are working on in class. Please encourage your child to explain their strategies when solving problems, or ask them to derscribe what they are working on. 

We are working on expressing ideas using complete sentences and using part of the question in their oral responses so that it will flow naturally into their written responses. 

Sample Question: Why do you think King Midas wanted to turn everything into Gold? 

Sample Response: I think that King Midas wanted to turn everything into Gold because __________. I know this because in the story he says "___________" (proof from the text to support their answer). 

I have also added a reading log for students to record their home reading throughout the year. There is a section where they can write a summary of the book(s) they have read. I have outlined the success criteria for a summary on the Reading Log document. 

Thank you very much for your support!


No comments:

Post a Comment