Thursday 10 September 2015

Helping Your Child Do Mathematics

This guide is a great tool to help parents support mathematics at home. The most important thing to remember when supporting your child with math is to make it a positive experience. 

In class we are working on developing a growth mindset. When we are faced with a challenge there are often common phrases that come to mind: 
- I'm not good at this
- I made a mistake
- I give up
- This is too hard

We are trying to change our words in order to change our mindsets. If we think we are not good at something we could change our words to say "I need to work harder at this" or "I need to believe in myself". Everyone makes mistakes, it is what we do with those mistakes that can allow us to grow or give up. If you make a mistake welcome it and understand how to learn from it. 

We don't need to know everything about math in order to help children learn. We need to understand how to ask questions, explain our thinking, create and use different strategies to solve a problem, and understand that is ok to say "I don't know". 






No comments:

Post a Comment